The good folks at ComicContinuum.com provided bulleted coverage of the Lionsgate panel on Frank Miller’s Will Eisner’s The Spirit movie panel held on April 19, 2008 at the New York Comic-Con.
Here are a few highlights:
* Miller said adapting The Spirit wasn’t so much distillation as discovery. He said based the script around Will Eisner’s 14-page Sand Saref story.
* Miller said he is “very proud” of how the movie is coming together and praised Del Prete’s help.
* Miller said the film had to be as bold as the comic was in the 1940s and purists might be in for “a bit of a shock.”
* Uslan said he met with Eisner 14 years ago and promised to make The Spirit right.
* Mendes said she was a little nervous initially. “Is he going to be weird? Let me tell you, he’s very weird and what a joy to work with.
“He’s an amazing actor’s director. He referenced movies I didn’t even know.”
* Del Prete said she was with Eisner at his last Comic-Con appearance in San Diego and talked to him about what was important to him for the film.